Wednesday, September 7, 2011

First Day



Today was our first day of school.....as always I was the only mom there with tears leaking out. The older two flew out the door at 6:39 a.m. and started their year together in the IHS building.....9th and 10th grades. Cubby is on to second grade. I just can't get over it!!!! It seems like yesterday I was carpooling him to pre-school. He was up and ready with no problem.



Our bus stop has a ton of kids......every year we always get a group picture ( Lots of mommy scrapbookers :) This was the first year I can ever remember that it was actually a bit chilly.....almost fall-like.



As always, I made a cake for the first day of school....I learned a few things....it looks a bit tall and top-heavy, but it's really yummy. I used a boxed Devils Food cake mix and wanted to make it an 8" triple layer cake. Well, 1 box wasn't quite enough, and 2 boxes was toooo much! The kids didn't seem to mind...Cub was wondering if it was a wedding cake because it was so high :)

Here's the recipe for the Chocolate Covered Oreo Cookie Cake:

1 pkg. (2 layer size) devil's food chocolate cake mix
4 squares Baker's Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate
1/4 cup butter, cut up
1 pkg. (8 oz.) softened cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups thawed Cool Whip Whipped Topping
12 Oreo's coarsely crushed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare and bake cake mix as directed on the box in two nine inch round baking pans. Cool 5 minutes, remove from pans. Cool completely on racks.

Microwave chocolate and butter in a small microwaveable bowl on HIGH 2 minutes or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Cool 5 minutes.

Beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Gently stir in whipped topping and crushed oreos. Place 1 cake layer, top side down, on serving plate. Spread top of layer evenly with cream cheese mixture. Cover with remaining cake layer, topside up. Spoon chocolate glaze over top of cake. Let stand until set. Store in refriferator.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your kids probably jumped for joy coming home to that cake!

Wendy said...

Aww.... he looks so sweet! 6:39 seem so early ~ but now as I think about it, when I take our dog for a walk at 6:35, there are kids heading, slowly and quietly down to the bus stop. Just seems early since I'm in bus comes at 8:25 mode. Hope school is going well for all 3! And Pam, there is nothing wrong with tears.... it all goes so fast! Weird, but I think I was one of the only moms in my group of friends who wasn't quite ready for school to start!

Joy Beadworks said...

Sweet! I love the name tag on Cub.