Wednesday, September 2, 2009

What?! "Mock Apple Pie"...yep, kids! It's zucchini!



I have done EVERYthing to zucchini.....baked it, stuffed it, fried it, sauteed it, made it into soup......but make it into a pie that tastes like apple??? Nope!!! not until today, that is. I've heard of it, and quite honestly I wasn't interested.....like, how could it??? And why not just use apples?!!!! Well Ms. Bragarmar brought a piece to football practice the other night and I was blown away!! It was scrumptious and TRULY did taste like apple!!!!!!! Well, her crust was amazing as well....and I do need a lesson on that....but I got busy this afternoon. And look, I don't even have a pie pan.....I used a Corning French White baking dish...But that didn't slow me down...I also used pie crusts that you get in the refrigerator section...shhh....my kiddos don't know the difference. Hopefully someday soon I be cranking out "real" ones. I do need to get a rolling pin though:)



If you'd like to try it for yourself and pull it over on your family here's the recipe:
6 cups zucchini
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 1/2 T. flour
1 1/2 tsp. Cream of Tartar
1 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
Dash of salt and nutmeg

Dough for a double pie crust

Pare zucchini, wash and slice lengthwise. Remove seeds. Slice like apples. Add a little water to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add zucchini and simmer for about 15 minutes or until tender. Cool and drain well. Add the rest of the ingredients, mix, and place into an unbaked 9 inch pie crust. Cover with top pie crust and flute to seal edges. Cut slits into the top of crust for steam to escape. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes.

4 comments:

Deanna said...

Guess what? I have an extra pie pan that you can have (in fact, I have 8 pie pans and they're taking up too much room in my cabinet!) I'll bring one to our next get-together - which better be soon! There were a couple of zucchini apple pies at the zucchini cook-off. I'd never heard of it before that, but I guess the recipe goes back a ways. Wish I could taste through this computer!
Oh, and just know I'm thinking of you on this first day of kindergarten. Don't forget to wear your waterproof mascara!

Denise @ Life on Stepping Stone Lane said...

Ok, seriously!! Is there nothing that you can't do with zuchinni? I bet you can even spackle a wall with this stuff! Repair a flat tire! Make wine with it!!! I'm pretty sure that one zuchinni plant could cure the world hunger problem!! I remember the first time my mom planted zuchinni, a whole row of it! We had zuchinni everything. She even CANNED zuchinni bread! She never made "apple pie" though....looks scruptious!!

Anonymous said...

I've heard the legend of these pies, but I've never seen one before...

Judy@cutest-little-things.blogspot.com said...

What a great way to use up all of that garden zucchini! Love this idea! But is it really tasty?! Enough that even a picky toddler would eat it?! It sure looks like it would be!