Friday, June 26, 2009

packing up and heading out



I'm pretty sure I'm not alone here when I say that going on vacation is a LOT of work for the Mom!!!! Especially when the dad is out of town all week and they show up the night before we leave and just throw the stuff in the car. This pile doesn't look like much....but it is a few weeks worth of shopping, list making, putting stuff in piles, moving it around, getting up into the attic, getting it into the boxes and duffle bags...then carrying it all out. This doesn't include stopping the mail, getting someone to watch the dog, give her a bath and water the flowers. And I am the type who has to clean the house before I leave, makes sure every stitch of laundry is done, ironed and put away and put a few lamps on timers. Get the portable dvd players checked and ready to roll, pack the cooler with a few essentials and drinks and get some good snacks. We're heading to the Outer Banks tomorrow and right about now I'm exhausted and could really care less..........and when Chip says it's time to head out in the morning after he hops in and starts the car he can't understand why I'm a smidge crabby. I don't know why I am either. It's always like this before we leave....it's not a surprise. But for once I'd like to just hop in the car and head out. Maybe next time........

4 comments:

Deanna said...

I am right with you, sister! Every time we are getting ready to go on vacation, I wonder if it's all worth it - of course it is once you get there. We just have to accept that men will never understand how much work and stress we go through to get the whole family out the door for a week's vacation and cleaning the house on top of it all! It's exhausting! And for them to look at you as though it should be a no-stress-piece-of-cake - aaargh! The only thing worse is coming home with bags full of dirty laundry and having to unpack it all with no vacation to look forward to! That being said, have a wonderful time!

beth said...

good luck with that! i would like to be able to show up as a guest and nothing more at a party sometime, but that never seems to happen either (always in charge of the gift, food, etc.). have a great vacation!

Joy Beadworks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joy Beadworks said...

Oh yeah, this sounds way too familiar. It takes me DAYS to uncoil...and that's only if no one is asking me what's for dinner, and what are we doing today, and I'm bored!