Wednesday, March 4, 2009

an outstanding omelet



I was browsing through an Oprah magazine my mom left behind on her last visit and I came across a fabulous article about omelets. I can't believe I had totally forgotten all about them!!!...I know for a shower gift I had recieved an omelet maker and tried a few times...not much success...same thing with the waffle maker....but that's another post :).....we really don't have a morning with enough time to make a big breakfast.....and sadly we only go out for breakfast/brunch a few times a year...which has become the only opportunity for an omelet. Well, this article really sparked my interest when the author made the remark that is a simple satisfying meal on winter night.....it's been a long winter over here and I'm in need of simple meals to eat at 4pm!!!...I polled all of the kiddos individually to get their thoughts on an omelet and it was quite positive...so last night I tried it...with terrific success!!!! They all loved them....quick and super easy!...and need I mention quite an inexpensive dinner as well!! $2-3 for all of us!!!!!! According to Julia Child a real omelet is an accomplishment and in her book "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" she devoted EIGHT pages on making a simple omelet...I found out last night it takes just a few minutes!!...Well...if your interested here's the essentials on making an outstanding omelet:



Omelet

3 eggs at room temperature
a pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
1 tsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. butter

Break the eggs into a small bowl...preferably metal...Beat eggs vigorously with a fork until a mousse of tiny bubble froth along the surface. While you heat a small non-stick pan over medium-high heat, sprinkle salt and pepper on eggs. When the pan is very hot, add oil, then butter...tilting the pan to coat it evenly...Pour eggs into the center. As they start to firm up, run a spatula under the eggs, bunching the mixture toward the center so the remaining liquid can cook. When the egg is firm and nearly dry, fold over the omelet with the spatula. Slide it onto a plate and serve immediately.

If you're feeling adventurous, you can always add ham, cheese, mushrooms, onions, peppers...just about anything!!....we started with ham and cheese.




I feel so accomplished to be able to make such a great omelet!!...Cubby even wanted one for breakfast this morning...and truly, it took as much time as it would have to put a frozen waffle in the toaster!...I was so excited about it when I got to my class at the Y last night that I mentioned to a dear friend and here she makes eggs every Tuesday night....I think I will be doing this much more often!

3 comments:

Deanna said...

Eggs are about the fastest meal to make - and yes, so versatile. I make "Egg McMuffins" for dinner any time I have english muffins on hand - egg, ham, cheese, and butter. The kids love em!

Jennifer Juniper said...

You all know how I feel about eggs, I could (and often do) eat them for every meal!

Joy Beadworks said...

We just had omelet wraps for dinner with cheese and roasted tomatoes. Bacon and strawberries on the side. I get more eggs than I know what to do with from my Dad, or better said, his chickens!