Sunday, October 12, 2008

shakerwoods


If you haven't heard of Shakerwoods, it's an incredible craft show....literally in the woods!!!.....these past few days the weather has been just beautiful ....with so many choices of things we could do we decided to take to take a field trip......it's been a few years since I've been out out there....you take the PA turnpike out to Ohio...then it turns into the Ohio turnpike...you get off at exit 232 and head south on rt. 7.....you go about 4 miles and you can't miss it!!......I have been here on perfect crisp fall days, chilly rainy ones and today was hot and sunny.....but being in the woods here gets you into the fall mood!!...it is just perfect when a leaf floats down before you signally that fall is here!.....here are a few pics of our afternoon.....compliments of my daughters cute new camera she got for her birthday.....I just had to snap one of the big, huge acorn on the roof......I have a thing for acorns.....they are just so cute to me!



....this wagon cart of pumpkins was beckoning us over....we looked and looked for a long while for one to bring home.....but could only narrow it down to six and that was too many!!!....so I took a picture to bring with us! :)...the prettiest velvets and brocades........could this be a craft for a few special girls??!!.....


Then a stop at the rootbeer shack.....we saw people walking with big bags of kettlekorn and we searched for it.........but by the time we saw it on the way out there were about 20 people in line and we had to pass.....

This is the view I had while I was on the phone with marzipanmom.....the little display is where I got my treats........check the picture further down......



.....I was trying to capture the sun flickering through the trees and warming up the day.....but without the sounds of the live bands playing and all the smells of the outdoor food courts with sweet potato fries, italian sausage sandwiches, lemonade shakes, chili, and cookies to name a few.....it doesn't do it justice!



These are my lovely treats......I first saw the tumblers in a beautiful shade of celery green...and then as I browsed the wares Zach explained to me what a butter keeper was....that is the crock on the right...it's amazing because just last week I was stumped at the grocery store between going back to butter which I always used, but hated because it never spread and my usual tub of Land o'Lakes spread.......I went with the spread...but not anymore now that I have my butter keeper...the concept dates back to the 1700's before there was refrigeration...you let your stick of butter get soft and then put it in the crock with a little bit of water and it stays fresh for weeks because the water forms a seal and keeps the bacteria out.....so says Zach!.....I'll keep you posted!!......and the dish on the left is a Brie dish......I have never made brie in my life...but I will now!....apparently a wheel of brie fits perfectly in this dish and you can bake it...it came with a few recipes...the one I want to try is the Caramel Almond.....just pour a jar of caramel topping over the top, sprinkle with almonds and bake for 2o minutes and then serve with your favorite bread......sounds like a treat to me!!! ...you can check out more on this fabulous pottery at their website http://www.brownbearpottery.com/ ...they do several shows a year and one of was at the apple festival in Franklin, PA!!....hhhmmm...that could be a field trip as well!












1 comment:

Jennifer Juniper said...

I've used a butter bell for years, and it really does work! I just broke mine a few weeks ago and am on a hunt for another.