Saturday, October 25, 2008

cheddar corn chowder


My dad and sister were coming for the night this past week and I wanted something warm and comforting to offer them after we got home from the kids activities....hhhmmm...how 'bout some soup!!! :)...I was going to use the roaster chicken in my freezer that jennifer juniper gave me when her power went out to make chicken noodle soup....I got out some cookbooks because believe it or not I've never made it!....and instead I came across this one from the barefoot contessa cookbook...my dear friend Liz gave me two of her books years ago and I treasure them.....this recipe called for fresh corn...and I just so happened to have bags full in my freezer.....remember the post about the corn zipper??....well, everytime I got corn from Deener's this summer I "zipped" a few ears to put in the freezer and have another time.....well, this was the other time!
8 ounces bacon-chopped
1/4 cup good olive oil
3 large onions-chopped
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
12 cups chicken stock
5 cups diced white potatoes, unpeeled...about 2 pounds
10 cups corn kernels
2 cups half and half
1 pound sharp white cheddar cheese-grated
In a large stock pot on medium heat cook the bacon and olive oil until the bacon is crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve. Reduce heat to medium, add the onions and butter to the fat, and cook for 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent. Stir in the flour, salt , pepper and turmeric and cook for 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and potatoes, bring to a boil, and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. If using fresh corn, cut the kernels off the cobs and blanch the kernels for 3 minutes in boiling salted water. Drain. Add the corn to the soup, then add the half and half and cheddar. Cook for 5 more minutes, until cheese is melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot with a garnish of bacon.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

Wow, does that ever look good!